Argos looks to US for new managing director
Argos, the Home Retail Group-owned high-street business, has appointed US retail executive John Walden as managing director, effective this month.
John Walden: joins Argos as managing director
Walden, who starts at the end of February, replaces Sara Weller, who left the retailer in June last year for "personal reasons".
Today (1 February) it was announced that Weller is to become a non-executive director at Lloyds Banking Group.
Walden joins Argos after a lengthy career in the US, which includes his position as chief operating officer of online supermarket retailer Peapod, executive vice president and a member of the executive committee at Best Buy, leading to the position of executive vice president at Sears.
This included Sears Roebuck, Kmart and Land's End, where he led the internet, catalogue and home services divisions, alongside marketing, merchandising and new concept development.
Terry Duddy, chief executive, Home Retail Group, said: "I am delighted John is joining the team. He brings with him a wealth of multi-channel retail and technology related business experience at senior levels within a range of both large retail organisations and smaller entrepreneurial enterprises.
"We look forward to John bringing a valuable, fresh perspective to the future development of Argos."
Argos has had a difficult year, which has seen its operating profits plummet by more than £50m. The retailer blamed a difficult economic climate for the decline.
Follow Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith on Twitter @LoullaMae_ES
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...