Currys owner enters movie-rental market
Dixons Retail, the electronics retail group that owns Currys, PC World and Dixons.co.uk, is launching a movie-rental service called Knowhow Movies, which has ambitious plans to take on LoveFilm, Netflix and BlinkBox.
Knowhow Movies: DSG Retail-backed service announces imminent launch
The move marks the retail group's first foray into the movie-on-demand market that has swelled recently with the arrival of US giant Netflix, which competes against Amazon-owned LoveFilm and BlinkBox.
Dixons Retail has launched a holding web page detailing the launch of the service, which claims to offer a "huge range of movies and TV shows", adding that the service will roll out "soon".
It is set to launch across mobile devices, as well as TV, enabling users to watch films "on-the-go".
Knowhow Movies is likely to be more akin to pay-per-view services offered by HMV, YouTube and BlinkBox, rather than LoveFilm and Netflix, which focus on their subscription video-on-demand services.
It is unclear whether DSG Retail will be using a partner for the launch. However , HMV, which launched a similar service last year, selected FilmFlex to deliver content to the service.
HMV's service is currently only available on PCs.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Copywriter fishtank 25k to 40k per year GBP, Marlow, Buckinghamshire
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Head of Marketing fishtank 45k to 60k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...