Starbucks opens first franchise store in the UK
Starbucks is aiming to grow its franchise business in the UK after launching the first such store in Hampshire this week.
Starbucks: opens its first UK franchise store in Hampshire
The company opened the franchise store in Liphook as part of a deal with a group of entrepreneurs.
The store is to be the blueprint for further outlets, planned to open over the coming months.
Liphook is part of an eight-store deal with Hampshire entrepreneurs 23.5 Degrees, which it is claimed will create more than 100 jobs in the area. Further franchise Starbucks stores are planned in Portsmouth, Southampton, Bournemouth and other locations.
Currently, Starbucks has more than 750 outlets in the UK. It now plans to increase its franchise business significantly in the UK, but has not disclosed specific targets.
In the long term, franchising will only represent a small proportion of the overall Starbucks business in the UK.
Starbucks believes the franchising business presents a clear opportunity, as it allows the chain to open up stores in small towns where a franchisee can contribute their local knowledge.
Starbucks was forced to reassess the amount of tax it pays in the UK, following a major backlash over how little corporation tax it pays in this country.
This followed the revelation that the coffee chain had not paid any corporation tax in the UK for the past three years, despite sales of £1.2bn during the period.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...