Netflix seals exclusive future US TV rights to Disney films
Netflix has struck a major deal with Walt Disney to become its exclusive TV partner with distribution rights to its movies, including those from Pixar and Marvel, in the US.
Netflix: signs exclusive TV partner deal with Disney
The deal means Netflix will be able to stream new Disney films, from 2016, as soon as seven months after they appear cinemas.
It will also start streaming library titles, such as 'Dumbo' and 'Alice in Wonderland', immediately.
Netflix is replacing cable company Starz as part of the deal, which is the first time a major studio has bypassed cable TV for film distribution.
Financial details of the deal were not disclosed by either company.
In the UK last month, BSkyB has signed a multi-year deal with NBCUniversal for the rights to current, upcoming and library feature films from Universal Pictures, shutting out rivals LoveFilm and Netflix from new films such as 'Anna Karenina'.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London