Miliband attacks energy companies on pricing
Labour leader Ed Miliband has attacked the pricing strategies of the big energy companies.
Ed Miliband: Labour leader slammed energy companies' pricing policies
In his keynote speech to the Labour Party's annual conference in Liverpool today (27 September), Miliband said that energy companies had "defied the laws of gravity for too long".
He claimed: "Prices go up, but they never seem to come down.
"Over time, there is going to be upward pressure on energy prices. But that makes it all the more important we get the best possible deal for customers.
"So let's break the dominance of the big energy companies. Let's call a rigged market what it is and get a fairer deal for the people of Britain."
His comments come amid an investigation by energy regulator Ofgem into the big six energy companies, which includes the issue of whether they understate their retail profits to justify higher prices.
Marketing industry bodies had feared that Miliband would call for a clampdown on advertising to the under-12s, but the topic was not broached.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...