Stratford tourism firm seeks damages over 'stolen' Shakespeare brand
A Stratford-upon-Avon tourism organisation has accused a business development agency and its PR consultancy of 'stealing' its brand identity.
Stratford-upon-Avon: home of Shakespeare
The STMO Media Group is seeking damages after accusing Stratforward Business Improvement District and its PR agency Severn Communications of brand identity theft and breach of copyright, stating that they have ‘stolen’ its ‘Not Just Shakespeare’ brand.
STMO has also accused Stratforward of breach of trust.
Stratforward included the proposed ‘Stratford. It’s not just Shakespeare’s, it’s yours’ branding in its August newsletter for the consideration of its levy payers.
Despite Stratforward having now withdrawn the proposed branding, STMO Media Group is continuing its fight, claiming that the brand statement has ‘already been widely circulated’.
STMO Media Group CEO Dave Matthews said: ‘A simple four-word Google search would indicate the presence of an organisation trading in Stratford-upon-Avon using the Not Just Shakespeare branding.'
He claimed that Severn Communications 'failed to research their proposals and branding ideas', while Stratforward 'showed a woeful disregard for the interests of a BID levy payer by effectively "stealing" their brand identity and using it in direct competition against them'.
STMO Media Group has contacted the secretary of state responsible for business improvement districts about the accusations.
Severn Communications and Stratforward declined to comment.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...