Virgin Atlantic comms chief Greg Dawson heads to Samsung
Virgin Atlantic's director of corporate communications, Greg Dawson, is leaving to become European PR director at Samsung.
Greg Dawson: Take top European PR role at Samsung (Credit: Andy Porter)
Virgin Atlantic’s director of corporate communications, Greg Dawson, is leaving to become European PR director at Samsung.
Dawson, who has served as the PR boss for Sir Richard Branson’s airline for two-and-a-half years, will head up European PR for Samsung, reporting to Stephen Taylor, VP brand for Europe.
Dawson will join Samsung from 1 January 2013, remaining at Virgin Atlantic until the end of this year. He will help CEO Steve Ridgway, who also recently resigned from the airline, to find a replacement corporate comms chief.
‘This was simply a great opportunity,’ Dawson told PRWeek. ‘Samsung is the world’s ninth biggest company and wants to double its turnover in Europe. My role will be to develop a world class firm’s relationship with the European public and help tell a phenomenal corporate story.’
Dawson’s remit covers 16 European markets and includes external relations, internal comms and public affairs.
Samsung Electronics Europe said: ‘We are delighted that someone of Greg’s experience and calibre is joining the business at this exciting time. His appointment reflects our commitment to the continued growth of the brand.’
Prior to Virgin Atlantic, Dawson ran PR at Travelodge, where he was renowned for creating high velocity news stories, creating a huge quantity of brand coverage. His career has also seen stints at RBS Insurance and Sainsbury’s.
Virgin Atlantic CEO Steve Ridgway announced his own departure earlier this month, after 23 years at Virgin. However he agreed with chairman Branson that he would stay on until his successor is found. His departure and Dawson’s are said to be unrelated.
The airline, which still has a strong and popular brand among fliers, is grappling with a sluggish British economy, tough competition and high fuel prices.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Graphic Designer CitNOW £25,000-£35 000pa, Wokingham, Berkshire
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...