Hit or Miss?: Paddy Power skywrites tweets over heads of Ryder Cup crowds
Sky driving - There was an aerial addition to the golfing activities at the Medinah Country Club in Chicago during the Ryder Cup.
Messages in the sky: Paddy Power backed the European Ryder Cup team (Credit: Keystone USA-ZUMA/Rexfeatures)
Irish bookmaker Paddy Power's cheeky stunt - devised by CURB and promoted by Taylor Herring - saw five planes spelling out tweets in vapour trails. The public submitted tweets with the hashtag #goeurope. The five-mile-long messages were visible more than 20 miles away and supported the Europeans while taunting Tiger Woods.
HOW I SEE IT -
Tom Johnson, director, Beatwax
This stunt was clever for many reasons. First, technical excellence. Experiential stunts are at their best when they create the 'how did they do that?' feeling. Second, execution. The 'sky tweets' could be read for miles around. And third, content. The highly visual stunt not only created material that Paddy Power could use online and internally, but it also generated a media buzz.
Paddy Power is becoming well known for its stunts and its use of letters. It has used huge 'Hollywood'-style letters to deliver the message at high profile sporting events. This is another execution of that with additional social media layers. Repetition is also key for any brand association: Guinness doesn't actually own St Patrick's day but let's face it, it does. Paddy Power has the opportunity to do the same with major sporting events
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Senior PPC Account Manager (In-house) Step Ahead Recruitment £30-£40K, Staines, Middlesex
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...