Diversity group Ignite PR set to close
Diversity in comms networking group Ignite PR is set to close this week.
Bieneosa Ebite: Ignite PR chairwoman
The group, launched four years ago in an effort to increase diversity within the comms industry, will finish on Friday.
Bieneosa Ebite is chairwoman of the group, which she co-founded alongside Lee Edwards and Zena Martin.
Ebite explained that a lack of time was the main factor behind the decision.
‘It’s simply because we are a voluntary organisation that relies on the time of its volunteers,' she said.
'We decided we wanted to end on a high, and in the knowledge we have achieved a significant amount.’
Ignite PR’s work included lobbying key organisations like the CIPR and PRCA, as well as regular meetings.
In 2012 the group launched a ‘manifesto for change’ in which it called for immediate steps to be taken towards increasing diversty.
Ebite stressed the both she and other trustees of the group would continue fighting to increase diversity.
‘When I sat on the CIPR’s diversity steering group back in 2005 diversity was a tick box exercise, and there was no real commitment from most in the industry in terms of doing something long term.We’ve moved forward since then, but I would like to see a more measured approach taken to issues like disability and ethnicity, and more done in terms of tangible steps.’
Recent drives to increase diversity in the industry have included work by the PRCA and Pearson in Practice to lessen the use of unpaid interns.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...