Step Change Debt Charity seeks agency
One of the UK's leading debt charities is looking for a public affairs agency following a recent rebrand.
Instant cash: Wonga.com offers short-term high-interest loans
The Step Change Debt Charity is on a public affairs drive after 20 years as the Consumer Credit Counselling Service.
Step Change’s rebrand comes amid concerns over pay-day loans and ahead of new laws to protect cash-strapped consumers.
Parliament has given the go-ahead for new powers to be handed to the newly created Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) to help the public navigate the risks of high interest rate loans.
The move follows research by Which? that indicated 1.5 million people took short-term loans during the Christmas period, with annual interest rates as high as 1,000 per cent.
However, the FCA will not take over regulation of the market until 2014. In the interim, charities such as Step Change, which warned about the rise in short-term loans in December, are likely to have to counter a rise in campaigning by pay-day lenders and fast-finance firms.
One of the most prominent fast-finance lenders is fast-growing but controversial Wonga.com, which last year recruited former David Cameron senior advisor Jonathan Luff to head its government affairs team.
A spokeswoman for Step Change Debt Charity confirmed that a pitch process for what is understood to be a retained brief was taking place.
However, PRWeek understands that the process is now a closed one.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...