Mark Adams loses libel case brought by Peter Cruddas
Former Conservative Party co-treasurer Peter Cruddas has won £45,000 in libel damages plus costs from lobbyist Mark Adams, it has been reported.
Mark Adams: Will have to pay Peter Cruddas at least £85,000
The Guardian has reported that Adams, a former Lansons PA head and private secretary to Tony Blair, has been sued for a ‘persistent and public campaign’ against Cruddas on social media.
Adams quit his job as Lansons acting head of PA in December 2011 to launch a pro-lobbying campaign and the Standup4lobbying blog.
The legal action came after accusations repeatedly aired by Adams online that Cruddas had breached the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000.
These allegations follow a story by the Sunday Times, which Cruddas is also understood to be suing, using undercover footage and published in March 2012.
Both police and the Electoral Commission said that there was no evidence that Cruddas, who resigned following the story, had broken the law in soliciting donations.
The Guardian reported that in a hearing today Justice Eady said Adams' claims were false and ordered him to pay £45,000.
Additionally, he must pay a further £40,000 of Cruddas’ estimated £120,000 legal costs within three months, with a further amount to be agreed.
The Guardian reported that Justice Eady told the court: ‘A significant number of readers who were interested in following the subject, at least those who are fair minded, will have come to recognise some months ago that Mr Adams's charges were actually just silly and not, after all, to be taken seriously.’
Adams did not respond to a request for comment.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...