On The Agenda: 'Functional cure' found for HIV
Doctors have discovered a 'functional cure' for a baby girl born with HIV.
A girl from Mississippi born with HIV has been the recipient of the first ‘functional HIV cure’ in an infant, thanks to very early therapy treatments.
The child, now two years old, has remained healthy with no medication for a year after the drug treatment, which started within days of her birth. If the girl remains healthy, it will be the world’s second reported HIV ‘cure’.
Deborah Persaud MD (pictured) presented the findings from the Johns Hopkins Children’s Center in Baltimore, the University of Mississippi Medical Center and the University of Massachusetts Medical School, at the Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections in Atlanta last week. Timothy Ray Brown is the only other person in the world believed to have recovered from HIV.
With a doctor from the Johns Hopkins Children’s Center leading the presentation at the conference, the press office wrote a global release. As the three principal investigators for the case came from three different institutions, the team had to make sure their
information output accurately reflected each participant’s role.
The story was covered globally by national print and broadcast media including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NPR, Reuters, CNN, NBC News, Los Angeles Times, The Guardian, the BBC, Channel 4 News and Time.
300k - Average number of children born with HIV in 2011 globally*
2 - Reported ‘cures’ for HIV in the world
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...