VisitEngland defends £5m campaign after industry attack
VisitEngland chief James Beresford has hit back at industry criticism of the £5m marketing spend on the body's 'GREAT' campaign to promote domestic tourism.
VisitEngland: defending £5m campaign
Beresford said the investment was ‘relatively modest’ compared with the spend of international tour operators.
Both Beresford and John Penrose, the minister for tourism and heritage, came under fire at an ABTA conference for funding a campaign discouraging British consumers from holidaying abroad.
In the TV ad, which rolled out in March, actor Stephen Fry asks ‘Why on earth would anyone want to go abroad in 2012?’
Beresford told Marketing: ‘It’s worth pointing out that overseas tourist boards spent £52m in the last financial year trying to seduce Brits overseas, while hotels, airlines and tour operators spent an additional £116m for the same purpose. I think this puts a £5m campaign into perspective.’
He added that initial Visit-England research found 56% of consumers that saw the ad would be ‘more likely’ to consider the UK for a short break.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...