Rajar Q4 2011: Capital's Johnny Vaughan bows out as London's no 1
Johnny Vaughan bowed out of his flagship breakfast show as the undisputed king of London's commercial radio, having helped Global Radio's 95.8 Capital FM extend its lead over rivals.
Johnny Vaughan: steps down at number one
According to Rajar figures published today for the period 18 September - 19 December, Global's listeners rose 3.4% quarter on quarter, and 14.9% year on year, to 2.25 million listeners.
It represents Capital's best performance for seven years, with growth fuelled by the breakfast show attracting 1.3 million listeners, up from 1.13 million the previous quarter and 1.08 million a year earlier. The network represents 36% of Global Radio's total 19.4 million listeners tuning in every week.
Bauer's Magic 105.4 remains London’s second most listened to commercial station, with 2.16 million listeners. It represents an 8.7% quarterly rise and a 5.7% annual lift.
Global's Heart was down 4.7% on the previous quarter but up 9.3% year on year, to retain its third spot with a weekly reach of 1.93 million, ahead of Bauer's Kiss 100's 1.87 million.
The figures should provide some comfort to 45-year-old Vaughan, who left his £1m-a-year job at Capital abruptly on 18 November, after being told his two-year contract would not be renewed.
Vaughan's co-presenter Lisa Snowdon fronted the breakfast show with stand-in Greg Burns before being joined by 33-year-old Dave Berry in January.
The pressure will now be on both the broadcaster and Berry to sustain Global's market leading position over the next three months.
Follow Arif Durrani on Twitter: @DurraniMix
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...