Radioplayer marks first year with new apps and international expansion
Radioplayer, the cross-industry online radio initiative, is marking its first anniversary by "smashing expectations" for user numbers and with plans to roll out mobile apps and expand the service outside of the UK.
Radioplayer launched on 31 March 2011 and now has over 310 live radio stations and claimed to receive seven million unique visitors, for February this year.
Its free mobile app will launch this summer and will be available on iPhones and Android devices, before rolling out to other devices at a later stage.
The app focuses on content discovery and Radioplayer claims it will be ‘as simple’ to use as radio. It has been developed by the Radioplayer partners and developer All in Media.
Radioplayer is also developing a series of connected TV apps, and has readied one for YouView, which will launch with the service later this year. The move follows the launch of a Facebook Radioplayer app last year.
Radioplayer is eyeing expansion outside of the UK and has already signed a deal in Russia where the app will roll out later this month. It claims to have licensing negotiations with other countries in the works.
Radioplayer is backed by the BBC, Global Radio, GMG Radio, Absolute Radio and commercial trade body RadioCentre, and aims to grow digital radio listening by simplifying the way radio works on connected devices.
Michael Hill, managing director of Radioplayer, said that its first year has "smashed expectations", adding: "We thought we’d have three to four million users and we’ve doubled that. We aimed to focus on computers, but we’re now rolling out to mobiles and TVs. And we never dreamed the model would spread beyond the UK."
Radioplayer launched a campaign earlier this week, with a series of radio ads promoting the use of the player at work.
After its first six months, RadioPlayer reported 6.7m unique visitors for August.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...