Britain's love affair with mobile phones
Kantar Media's TGI survey looks at the figures behind the British love affair with mobile phones, revealing a massive increase in penetration and a demographic breakdown of heavy texters.
Mobile phone: now an almost indispensable item for most Britons
In Britain, mobile phone ownership has seen a dramatic rise of 1,500% over the last 15 years, with the mobile phone now becoming an almost indispensable item for the majority of the population. In 1995, only 6% of British adults owned a mobile phone – today the figure is 92%.
In comparison to other countries, British adults have a higher penetration of mobile phone owners than their counterparts in Western European and the BRICs.
In Britain, those who are "heavy texters" (send more than 20 texts a week) account for roughly a third of all mobile phone owners. This group is more likely to be female and in the younger age groups.
Russell Budden, associate director, Kantar Media
TGI is a continuous survey of consumer usage habits, lifestyles, media exposure and attitudes of GB adults aged 15+
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)