Britain's love affair with mobile phones
Kantar Media's TGI survey looks at the figures behind the British love affair with mobile phones, revealing a massive increase in penetration and a demographic breakdown of heavy texters.
Mobile phone: now an almost indispensable item for most Britons
In Britain, mobile phone ownership has seen a dramatic rise of 1,500% over the last 15 years, with the mobile phone now becoming an almost indispensable item for the majority of the population. In 1995, only 6% of British adults owned a mobile phone – today the figure is 92%.
In comparison to other countries, British adults have a higher penetration of mobile phone owners than their counterparts in Western European and the BRICs.
In Britain, those who are "heavy texters" (send more than 20 texts a week) account for roughly a third of all mobile phone owners. This group is more likely to be female and in the younger age groups.
Russell Budden, associate director, Kantar Media
TGI is a continuous survey of consumer usage habits, lifestyles, media exposure and attitudes of GB adults aged 15+
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Paid Search Manager ( PPC ) - Leading Search Specialist Group Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Digital Web Designer: Fashion, Web, Email, Tablet, Mobile, HTML Creative Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Lead Graphic Designer (Print, Publishing, Fashion, Lifestyle) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Media Manager- BOUTIQUE agency- £40K! Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Sales Manager- Dynamic Video, digital & Mobile Business Ultimate Asset £35000 - £45000 per annum + amazing commission, London
- Account Director PFJ £40000 - £50000 per annum, London