Britain's love affair with mobile phones
Kantar Media's TGI survey looks at the figures behind the British love affair with mobile phones, revealing a massive increase in penetration and a demographic breakdown of heavy texters.
Mobile phone: now an almost indispensable item for most Britons
In Britain, mobile phone ownership has seen a dramatic rise of 1,500% over the last 15 years, with the mobile phone now becoming an almost indispensable item for the majority of the population. In 1995, only 6% of British adults owned a mobile phone – today the figure is 92%.
In comparison to other countries, British adults have a higher penetration of mobile phone owners than their counterparts in Western European and the BRICs.
In Britain, those who are "heavy texters" (send more than 20 texts a week) account for roughly a third of all mobile phone owners. This group is more likely to be female and in the younger age groups.
Russell Budden, associate director, Kantar Media
TGI is a continuous survey of consumer usage habits, lifestyles, media exposure and attitudes of GB adults aged 15+
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Business Development Manager Pure360 £20,000 - £25,000 depending on experience. £45k OTE uncapped, Brighton
- Comms Planning Manager PFJ £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, London