Britain's love affair with mobile phones
Kantar Media's TGI survey looks at the figures behind the British love affair with mobile phones, revealing a massive increase in penetration and a demographic breakdown of heavy texters.
Mobile phone: now an almost indispensable item for most Britons
In Britain, mobile phone ownership has seen a dramatic rise of 1,500% over the last 15 years, with the mobile phone now becoming an almost indispensable item for the majority of the population. In 1995, only 6% of British adults owned a mobile phone – today the figure is 92%.
In comparison to other countries, British adults have a higher penetration of mobile phone owners than their counterparts in Western European and the BRICs.
In Britain, those who are "heavy texters" (send more than 20 texts a week) account for roughly a third of all mobile phone owners. This group is more likely to be female and in the younger age groups.
Russell Budden, associate director, Kantar Media
TGI is a continuous survey of consumer usage habits, lifestyles, media exposure and attitudes of GB adults aged 15+
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Global CRM Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000, International/Europe
- Assistant Brand Manager Veritas Partnership Ltd £28000 - £35000 Per Annum plus benefits, M3-A3 Corridor
- Marketing Manager, £40K, TECH Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Great Benefits, Salary dependent on exp, London
- Packaging Artworker Periscope Recruitment LLP £28000.00 - £38000.00 per annum, London
- CRM Manager, Netherlands Premier Consultants c.€65k plus bonus, Amsterdam