Radio and TV drive Citroën campaign
Challenge - In an environment as competitive as the automotive market, maintaining the gains made from a launch campaign, without the launch budget, is a real challenge, and smart audience targeting can make the difference.
Citroën C5: Snow Motion is its USP
Client Citroën C5
Agency OMD UK
Planner Peter Wood
The strategic challenge for OMD was to ensure that awareness and purchase consideration increases for the C5 were maintained in year two.
The agency realised that focusing on the lives of the brand's audience of "user-choosers" (those able to choose their company car) was the only way to achieve the objectives on a modest budget.
IPA TouchPoints mapping allowed OMD to plan media to penetrate the cocoon of the audience's car and working day while also reaching them in their leisure time.
The mood diary function of the IPA's TouchPoints 2 also enabled the agency to plan advertising to suit the audience's mood in the two core strategic areas of work and leisure.
TouchPoints mapping showed a high correlation of people being in their car and listening to the radio through much of the day, with a significant peak first thing in the morning and levels of alertness rising steadily and peaking around midday.
This led Citroën to serve product-led, functional radio ad messages across these time periods, highlighting the benefit of the unique Snow Motion traction control system in increasing safety on snowy, icy or wet roads.Leisure-time mapping showed the audience was more relaxed in the evening, so the target audience was serviced with brand-led TV ads.
These showcased the C5 driving over snow-covered mountain roads, reminding the audience of its sleek shape, road-going poise and overall quality, as well as promoting the model's USP - the Snow Motion system.
BAIT brand consideration tracking showed perception of the C5 improved after the campaign. Spontaneous awareness increased from 10% to 15% between January and April. Perception that the C5 "offered a good level of safety" jumped 13% between January and April, and the perception that Citroën made high-quality, reliable cars leapt 32% in the same period.
Peter Wood, Communications planner, OMD UK
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Account Planner Direct Recruitment Up to £50,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...