Waitrose congratulates Reading on promotion to Premier League
Waitrose drew attention to its sponsorship of Reading FC with a press campaign this weekend hailing the team's promotion into the Premier League.
Waitrose: press ad congratulates Reading FC's promotion
The press ad, headlined, "We are the champions", said: "Good luck in the Barclays Premier League, we're proud to sponsor you", following the team's final game of the season.
Waitrose signed a new two-year sponsorship with Reading in December 2010, which will include the team's 2012/13 season in the Premier League.
The high-profile sponsorship is also unique in that Reading is the only team to be sponsored by a supermarket chain.
The press campaign ran in The Sunday Times and also contained text stating, "Everyone at Waitrose would like to congratulate Brian McDermott [the manager] and his team at Reading Football Club on winning the npower Championship".
McDermott, the former manager of Woking FC and reserve team coach at Reading, has steered Reading to the Premier League after being entrusted with the full-time manager's job in January 2010, following a surprise victory against Liverpool in the FA Cup.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Copywriter fishtank 25k to 40k per year GBP, Marlow, Buckinghamshire
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Head of Marketing fishtank 45k to 60k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Senior Account Executive fishtank Up to 24,000, United Kingdom
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...