Sainsbury's offers free fish in sustainability push
Sainsbury's is attempting to change consumer attitudes towards sustainable fish by offering shoppers a free, sustainable alternative, when they try to buy the most popular types of fish.
Sainsbury's: Switch The Fish initiative launches this week
The 'Switch The Fish' initiative will launch on Friday (25 January). It will be promoted via social media platforms using the #switchthefish hashtag, and with a series of infographics on Sainsbury's Facebook page about the UK's consumption of fish.
In total, Sainsbury's will give away seven tonnes of sustainable fish, including lemon sole, mussels, Cornish sardines and coley fillets as an alternative to cod, haddock, tuna, salmon and prawns.
Justin King, chief executive at Sainsbury's, said: "Sainsbury's is committed to fishing responsibly and helping change UK fish-eating habits.
"We know our customers care about responsibly sourced food and this is a great opportunity for them to try some alternative British fish for free."
Sainsbury's is also partnering with the Fishermen's Mission charity, which supports fishermen and their families at times of crisis, as part of the initiative.
For three weeks from 25 January, Sainsbury’s will donate 5p from every pack sold of the sustainable fish to the charity.
The campaign will also involve Sainsbury’s stocking a free 'Switch The Fish' booklet at fish counters, which will involve recipes and tips for cooking and preparing fish.
The activity fits into the brand's "Live well for less" brand idea, which marketing director Sarah Warby said she will look to continually evolve throughout the year.Follow @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital Operations Macmillan Cancer Support £50,000 - £55,000 +Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Content Marketing and SEO Manager Lynda Up to £40,000, Central London
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Senior Account Manager The Great & The Good £35000 - £40000 per annum + great benefits , London
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London