Phones 4U ad banned after rival Carphone Warehouse cries foul
The advertising watchdog has banned a Phones 4U ad promoting an upgrade to a Samsung Galaxy SIII, after rival Carphone Warehouse complained the ad was misleading.
Phones 4U: ASA bans ad
The print ad, created by adam&eveDDB, stated: "What's the upgrade deal of the week? Get this SAMSUNG GALAXY III, exclusively in AMBER BROWN from only £26 per month!"
However, the small-print revealed that the offer was only available with an initial handset cost of £49 a month.
Carphone Warehouse complained to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) that the ad was misleading, as it argued the price of the handset was insufficiently prominent.
Phones 4U argued that the aim of the campaign is to communicate its best upgrade deal each week, and that the "average consumer" would know they would have to pay an initial upfront price for the handset. It also claimed an asterisk referring to the upgrade cost was "sufficiently prominent" to draw the reader’s attention.
However, the ASA ruled that, as some packages did not include an initial cost for the handset, it may mislead consumers reading that the upgrade was available for only £26 per month. As a result, the ad may not appear again in its current form.
Phones 4U has had previous run-ins with the ASA. In 2011, its horror-themed TV ad featuring a ghost-like girl was the most complained about ad of the year. It received 659 complaints from viewers who believed them to be "offensive, irresponsible, unduly distressing and inappropriately scheduled".Follow @alex_brownsell
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Paid Search Manager ( PPC ) - Leading Search Specialist Group Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Digital Web Designer: Fashion, Web, Email, Tablet, Mobile, HTML Creative Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Lead Graphic Designer (Print, Publishing, Fashion, Lifestyle) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Media Manager- BOUTIQUE agency- £40K! Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Sales Manager- Dynamic Video, digital & Mobile Business Ultimate Asset £35000 - £45000 per annum + amazing commission, London
- Account Director PFJ £40000 - £50000 per annum, London