TBWA scoops £21m Lidl creative account
Lidl has appointed TBWA\London to handle its £21 million UK advertising account, ahead of a brand campaign that it hopes will emulate the success of the rival discount retailer Aldi.
Lidl: plots brand campaign
The agency picked up the account after a competitive pitch that began in August last year and was managed by the retailer. Lidl’s creative work was previously handled by its in-house creative team.
Until now, Lidl has invested the majority of its adspend on tactical print work. The last TV ad was in 2009, which was created by Banana Split and focused on the freshness of the supermarket’s produce.
Lidl is now expected to create a campaign to convert those who use the retailer to "top up" their weekly shop with grocery essentials into regular customers.
The success of Aldi’s "like brands" campaign, by McCann Manchester, is believed to have prompted Lidl’s move to brand advertising.
Ronny Gottschlich, the managing director of Lidl UK, said: "[TBWA\London] understands our growth potential, where new customers lie and can deliver the messages that will take us there."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)