Starbucks to open in India
Starbucks is to open its first outlets in India this year, as part of an agreement between the Seattle-based coffee chain and the Tata conglomerate.
Starbucks: top open its first outlets in India this year
The joint venture offering will launch outlets, branded as Starbucks Coffee: A Tata Alliance, initially in Delhi and Mumbai.
The plan is to open 50 outlets before the end of 2012.
Starbucks is following rival Costa Coffee which has already opened stores in India, as the coffee chains aim to lure in young professionals looking to embrace Western coffee drinking habits.
As part of the joint venture, a sourcing agreement has been signed whereby Tata will roast coffee to supply for the stores.
A further part of the tie-up means that the two companies will combine their resources to offer a tea product branded as Tata Tazo.
The link-up follows an alliance between the two companies last year, when Starbucks signed an agreement with Tata Coffee, a division of Tata Global Beverages, to source and roast coffee beans in India
Starbucks currently operates more than 17,000 outlets in nearly 60 countries.
The Tata conglomerate owns a wide-ranging number of businesses, including Tata Beverages, Tata Steel and Jaguar Land Rover.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Programme Evaluation Analyst Direct Recruitment £38,000 - £40,000 + bens, Central London