Swap social media for TV unless you have a million fans, says Diageo marketer
Brands should abandon social networks if they are unable to build communities of a million consumers, according to Philip Gladman, Diageo's western Europe white spirits marketing director.
Smirnoff: Diageo vodka brand
Speaking at yesterday's ISBA annual conference, Gladman told the audience that "size matters".
"It takes communities of one million to even start paying back on a social platform," he claimed during an afternoon session titled 'Changing the Game'.
"Unless you are going to get a million, don't bother... There's no point having a little Facebook community bubbling along," he said.
"Stick it in TV", is what brands in this predicament should do with their marketing spend, he added.
"Build and they will come", the famous quote from the Kevin Costner baseball film ‘Field of Dreams’, was "rubbish" when applied to social media, argued Gladman.
He also argued that brands would not get to a million fans without spending money on it, claiming that Procter & Gamble had spent $14m on making the Old Spice "The man your man could smell like" ad a viral success.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Programme Evaluation Analyst Direct Recruitment £38,000 - £40,000 + bens, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...