Brands would be 'foolish' to expect economic recovery, warns Coca-Cola boss
Coca-Cola GB & Ireland boss Jon Woods has warned marketers that the slump in consumer confidence is unlikely to improve even in the long term, and to modify their marketing plans accordingly.
Jon Woods: ISBA president and Coca-Cola GB & Ireland general manager
Giving his president's address at ISBA's 25th Annual Conference in London earlier today, Woods described the previous 12 months as "tough" and said it would be "foolish" to plan for any improvement in the economy.
He said: "I'm sensing a few more cautious notes of optimism of late, but it would be foolish to plan for any change in the macro environment. The issue of consumer confidence, or lack of it, underlines everything.
"It requires all businesses to review their models and act accordingly. Innovation muscles will need to be flexed to generate more for less."
Woods claimed that the marketing industry's partnership with the Government, through initiatives such as the Responsibility Deal, was "working", and warned ministers against pursuing a more "prescriptive" approach.
He said: "The Government should be pleased that the approach of working with, rather than regulating, [the advertising industry] is working. Our industry remains committed to these measures, while the government should be focused on delivering economic growth."Follow @alex_brownsell
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Senior Ad Operations Executive/Trafficker Propel £2600 - £30000 per annum + Benefits, City of London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...