Denise Lewis criticises athletes over sponsor tweets
Olympic gold medallist Denise Lewis has condemned athletes' endorsement of sponsor brands on Twitter as "a dangerous game".
Denise Lewis: Twitter is a "distraction"
However Lewis, speaking exclusively to Marketing, conceded the participation of brands in the London 2012 Olympics is "vital to the running of the Games" financially.
"This is hopefully one of the biggest Games from a Team GB perspective and it’s expensive. So brands need to be on board, and good brands are on board," said Lewis, who won gold at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
"I think [tweeting endorsements] is a dangerous game... I'm not on Twitter and it's not something my coach would have allowed. For me [it was about] less distraction," she added.
Lewis's comments follow criticism of athletes such as swimmer Rebecca Adlington for tweeting endorsements.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Visual Merchandising Manager (Retail, Fashion, Creative, VM) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum + Negotiable, Hertfordshire
- Marketing Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £50K-70K + Benefits Package, Central London