Rory McIlroy set to sign $250m 10-year deal with Nike
Rory McIlroy is set to sign a major multimillion-pound sponsorship deal with Nike, with some experts estimating it could be worth up to $250m (£156m) over 10 years.
Rory McIlroy: expected to sign major deal with Nike
The 23-year-old, multiple golf-major winner is thought to have been in discussions with Nike over the proposed 10-year-deal.
It is expected that an agreement could be signed within the next few months.
One senior source from a sports sponsorship agency said: "No doubt this is going to happen. And it could be worth up to $25m (£16m) a year."
That would be similar in size to Tiger Wood's deal with Nike.
McIlroy currently has endorsements deals with golf brand Titleist, Oakley, the hotel chain Jumeirah, luxury watchmaker Audemars Piguet, and Santander.
McIlroy’s deal with Titleist expires at the end of the year.
Nike's strategy is for the golfing stars it endorses to be "clean", so that the Nike swoosh is the only visible brand on their clothing. It is likely that Nike would buy out any existing endorsement deals with McIlroy that have time running on them.
In 1996, Woods signed a deal valued at $40m (£25m) over five years, which was then extended to $105m over the same period.
Nike recently dropped its sponsorship of disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong
Nike declined to comment. McIlroy’s agent Horizon Sports was unavailable for comment.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- POS Account Manager Creative Recruitment £30000 per annum, East Midlands
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...