Supermarkets court brand advocates via social media
Supermarkets are courting social media commentators as independent brand advocates in order to better manage their online brand image.
Sainsbury's: boosting its social media efforts
Earlier this month, Sainsbury's gave independent blogger and self-styled consultant Steven Dresser a tour of one of its megastores, after he built up a Twitter reputation by repeatedly tweeting about new stores and developments at Morrisons. While he tweets about all the supermarkets, he is a self-confessed "Morrisons obsessive".
The official Sainsbury's Twitter account later tweeted a link to the analysis Dresser compiled following his tour of the store.
Sainsbury’s tweeted: "Good read: @Dresserman completes his epic, 2-part review of our Heaton XL store http://ow.ly/92G4j #UK #retail".
A shopper marketing source commented that it marked an interesting development in the industry, because "now anyone who goes into a supermarket and tweets a couple of pictures can be considered an analyst".
Sainsbury's puts great emphasis on its social media efforts and now boasts more than 357,000 likes on its Facebook page.
It received a further brand boost from social media, when a letter it wrote to a three-year-old girl went viral after her mother posted it on her blog.
The letter resulted in the supermarket rebranding tiger bread as giraffe bread, after the three-year-old suggested the bread looked more like a giraffe.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Strategic Insights Manager - Mobile Digital Gurus £40000 - £45000 per annum + healthcare, bonus, , London
- Sales and Marketing Executive (print and digital media) Publimatic Up to £35,000pa plus reasonable expenses, Bloomsbury/Holborn
- Creative Artworker Creative Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum, Uxbridge
- Account Executive Pitch Consultants £15000 - £20000 per annum, Leamington Spa