Sony Ericsson marketing boss Hilton exits amid relaunch
Sony Ericsson UK & Ireland marketing director David Hilton has left the company, as the mobile firm starts to centralise its marketing ahead of its planned rebrand to Sony.
Xperia S: the first Sony-branded handset
The firm will adopt a more global focus for its marketing once it drops the Ericsson name from its branding.
The change follows Sony's acquisition of Ericsson's 50% stake in the business for £964m last October.
Hilton’s departure follows the appointment of Kristian Tear to the head of global sales and marketing role.
Tear, who was previously Sony Ericsson's head of the Western Europe region and of global customer accounts, will take up the role on 1 April, after incumbent Anders Runevad rejoins Ericsson.
It is unclear whether Hilton has another job to go to. A source said the company is considering recruiting externally to replace him.
It is believed that Sony Ericsson’s UK managing director, Pierre Perron, will handle Hilton’s responsibilities until a successor is found.
Sony Ericsson is working with global branding consultancy The Gild to assist with "brand strategy, architecture and guidelines" as it evolves its Xperia smartphone brand and makes the transition to sole ownership by Sony.
The brand will launch a multimillion-pound integrated campaign at the end of March to support the launch of the Sony Xperia S, the first Sony-branded smartphone, in an effort to turn around its fortunes.
It hopes that a refreshed proposition will revive interest in the brand after a torrid end to 2011, when it posted losses of $207m (£173m) in the fourth quarter.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Senior PPC Account Manager (In-house) Step Ahead Recruitment £30-£40K, Staines, Middlesex
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...