Sony Ericsson marketing boss Hilton exits amid relaunch
Sony Ericsson UK & Ireland marketing director David Hilton has left the company, as the mobile firm starts to centralise its marketing ahead of its planned rebrand to Sony.
Xperia S: the first Sony-branded handset
The firm will adopt a more global focus for its marketing once it drops the Ericsson name from its branding.
The change follows Sony's acquisition of Ericsson's 50% stake in the business for £964m last October.
Hilton’s departure follows the appointment of Kristian Tear to the head of global sales and marketing role.
Tear, who was previously Sony Ericsson's head of the Western Europe region and of global customer accounts, will take up the role on 1 April, after incumbent Anders Runevad rejoins Ericsson.
It is unclear whether Hilton has another job to go to. A source said the company is considering recruiting externally to replace him.
It is believed that Sony Ericsson’s UK managing director, Pierre Perron, will handle Hilton’s responsibilities until a successor is found.
Sony Ericsson is working with global branding consultancy The Gild to assist with "brand strategy, architecture and guidelines" as it evolves its Xperia smartphone brand and makes the transition to sole ownership by Sony.
The brand will launch a multimillion-pound integrated campaign at the end of March to support the launch of the Sony Xperia S, the first Sony-branded smartphone, in an effort to turn around its fortunes.
It hopes that a refreshed proposition will revive interest in the brand after a torrid end to 2011, when it posted losses of $207m (£173m) in the fourth quarter.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Presentation Designer Major Players negotiable, City of London