LG seeks 3D TV boost with strategy shift
LG is switching the focus of its home entertainment division away from families towards an early adopter audience to reflect a change in the design of its 3D televisions.
LG: shifting away from family focus
Marketing activity will be led by a 3D cinema campaign launching this month, which will target ‘uncompromising seeker’ who place more emphasis on special features and design than on price.
The electronics manufacturer will this year spend £10m marketing its TVs, with a focus on design, Smart TV and 3D capabilities.
George Mead, head of consumer marketing for home entertainment at LG, said the brand spent ‘95% of [its] time talking about 3D’ last year.
He said the company will shift its focus to a design emphasis because ‘there’s lots of consumer confusion in terms of what Smart TV and 3D give to consumers’.
Nevertheless, take-up of 3D TV has been ‘quite quick’ compared with previous new TV technologies, according to GfK retail and technology director Nigel Catlow.
More than 1m 3D TVs have been sold to date in Britain since their launch in April 2010. This rate is far higher than that recorded for the take-up of widescreen TVs and flatscreen TVs after they were launched.
LG’s marketing will concentrate on ‘bringing the cinema home to consumers’ living rooms’ by highlighting the screen design of its LM series, highlighted by its ‘Minimized frame, maximized 3D’ specification.
The 3D cinema ads will run until August, screening around summer blockbusters such as Prometheus and The Amazing Spider-Man.
LG also hopes its 3D-enabled technology will receive a further boost from the Olympics’ 100m final and opening and closing ceremonies being screened in 3D.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Campaign Delivery Executive Stopgap £20000 - £23000 per annum, London
- Strategic Planner - to £50k Network Career Consultants £45000 - £50000 per annum, London
- European Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 per annum, South East
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London