Facebook working on search product, says Zuckerberg
Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg has said that the social network is working on a search product that could answer user questions such as where to eat.
Mark Zuckerberg: says Facebook is preparing a search product
Speaking at the Techcrunch Disrupt conference in San Francisco yesterday (11 September), Zuckerberg discussed the potential of search for Facebook, explaining that it was doing one billion queries a day, "without even trying," according to Techcrunch.
Zuckerberg said: "Facebook is pretty uniquely positioned to answer the questions people have. At some point we'll do it. We have a team working on it."
He claimed that social network users look to it to answer questions such as where to eat sushi
He said: "Search engines are really evolving to give you a set of answers, ‘I have a specific question, answer this question for me.’"
In what was his first public speech since the company floated in February, Zuckerberg admitted he was "disappointed" with the company's share price, which has dropped well below its $38 (£23) debut, but it was not the first "up and down" in the company's history.
Facebook has been open about its future lying in mobile, however it previously identified it as a risk factor, because it has been slow to monetise it.
Zuckerberg said that since it updated its iOS app, its users were consuming twice as many mobile newsfeed stories, adding that on mobile, "we are going to make more money than desktop".
He also poured cold water on speculation that Facebook was building a smartphone, saying it would be the wrong strategy for the company.Follow @shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...