Sponsors express dismay over Oscar Pistorius murder charge
BT has expressed its shock over the news that brand ambassador Oscar Pistorius is charged with murdering his girlfriend, model Reeva Steenkamp.
Oscar Pistorius: one Nike ad pulled from website yesterday
In a statement, BT said: "Our thoughts are with all those affected by this tragedy. Given the ongoing legal proceedings, it would be inappropriate for us to comment further."
Meanwhile, sponsor Nike said: "We're not making any comment at this stage other than to say that the incident is a police matter and we will continue to monitor the situation closely."
However, an ad that featured on Pistorius' official website reading, "I am the bullet in the chamber", was removed yesterday afternoon.
The website features prominent pictures of Pistorius wearing BT and Nike-branded sportswear. Pistorius is due to appear in court in South Africa this morning.
Sporting brand Nike has a history of associating itself with sporting stars who subsequently fall into disrepute, including Tiger Woods, whose extramarital affairs caused him to take a break from the sport, and Lance Armstrong, the cyclist found guilty of doping.
After initially standing by him, Nike terminated its relationship in October 2012.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Creative Director, PR Agency, London Office + Great Benefits Fleishman-Hillard Up to £100,000, dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £70,000 - £75,000 per annum, London
- SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/GROUP ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - shopper marketing agency - London Judi Patton £50-65k dependent on experience plus benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)