Growth in time-shifted TV viewing expected to level out
Time-shifted viewing via digital TV recorders (DTRs) is expected to plateau over the coming years, according to a report by the UK commercial broadcasters' marketing body, Thinkbox.
TV viewing figures have levelled out
Data from BARB revealed that the amount of linear TV recorded and watched on DTRs such as Sky+ and Virgin Media TiVo devices reached 10.1% of all viewing in 2012.
The figure was up from the 9.4% of total viewing in 2011, but represented slower growth than the rise from 7.6% in 2010. However, BARB’s figures do not include viewing on devices other than TV sets.
Thinkbox said it expects recorded and playback TV to settle at about 15% of total viewing once most households have access to DTRs.
Linear viewing in 2012 stalled at four hours and one minute per day, down by one minute from the 2011 total. The data from BARB suggested that, in 2012, the average person watched two hours and 35 minutes of commercial TV daily, also down by one minute on the previous year.
Lindsey Clay, Thinkbox managing director, said: ‘Linear TV is the bedrock of how we watch TV. Its continued strength underlines viewers’ preference for watching TV as it is broadcast and on a set.’Follow @alex_brownsell
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Account Manager - Communication/ Branding to £35k Network Career Consultants £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Global Insight Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 plus Car/ Car Allowance, London