Growth in time-shifted TV viewing expected to level out
Time-shifted viewing via digital TV recorders (DTRs) is expected to plateau over the coming years, according to a report by the UK commercial broadcasters' marketing body, Thinkbox.
TV viewing figures have levelled out
Data from BARB revealed that the amount of linear TV recorded and watched on DTRs such as Sky+ and Virgin Media TiVo devices reached 10.1% of all viewing in 2012.
The figure was up from the 9.4% of total viewing in 2011, but represented slower growth than the rise from 7.6% in 2010. However, BARB’s figures do not include viewing on devices other than TV sets.
Thinkbox said it expects recorded and playback TV to settle at about 15% of total viewing once most households have access to DTRs.
Linear viewing in 2012 stalled at four hours and one minute per day, down by one minute from the 2011 total. The data from BARB suggested that, in 2012, the average person watched two hours and 35 minutes of commercial TV daily, also down by one minute on the previous year.
Lindsey Clay, Thinkbox managing director, said: ‘Linear TV is the bedrock of how we watch TV. Its continued strength underlines viewers’ preference for watching TV as it is broadcast and on a set.’Follow @alex_brownsell
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...