BT broadband customer base reaches 6.1 million
BT has reported a pre-tax profit lift of 18% to £628m in the third quarter of 2011 and said it had added 262,000 customers over its broadband network in the period, boosting its overall broadband customer base to 6.1million.
BT: 'welcome to flat six' TV campaign
The race for broadband customers is becoming increasingly competitive, with brands such as Sky, Virgin Media and BT running big advertising campaigns to lure in customers.
BT today (3 February) said that overall, it had added 262,000 customers to its broadband network in the period, 56% of them (146,000) were its own retail customers.
It said it now had a retail customer base of 6.1 million as of 31 December 2011.
By comparison, the latest figures for Virgin Media reveal it has 4.3 million customers
BT reported revenues of £4.774bn in the third quarter to 31 December 2011, down 5% on the period.
Pre-tax profits on an adjusted basis were up 18% to £628m.
Chief executive Ian Livingstone said BT's performance had been aided by new contract wins.
He said: "Our investment to support our customers and improve our services has resulted in new contract wins around the world, with orders to far this year up over 50% in Asia Pacific and Latin America."
Separately, BT has also announced that "Ultra-fast " broadband, using direct fibre-optic connections, will become available to the majority of British homes and businesses in 2013.
BT said the rollout of the "Ultra-fast" broadband followed a successful trial of the technology in Cornwall.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...