Vodafone to buy Cable & Wireless for £1bn
Vodafone has agreed to buy troubled telecoms company Cable & Wireless Worldwide (CWW) in a deal valued at £1.04bn.
Vitorrio Colao: chief executive of Vodafone group
Vodafone is carrying out the acquisition to strengthen its enterprise business in the UK and abroad by expanding its network and creating cost-saving opportunities.
CWW provides high-speed telecoms services to companies including Tesco and the police.
It marks an attractive proposition for Vodafone, as the telecoms company moves to grow its corporate business at a time of weak consumer growth.
CWW's fibre cable network is expected to relieve pressure on Vodafone's mobile network, while the latter's enterprise business will gain a boost because CWW already has contracts providing voice, data and hosting services to government departments and companies, including Tesco.
Cable & Wireless directors will unanimously recommend that shareholders vote in favour of the takeover.
Vitorrio Colao, chief executive of Vodafone group, said: "The acquisition of Cable & Wireless Worldwide creates a leading integrated player in the enterprise segment of the UK communications market and brings attractive cost savings to our UK and international operations."
Vodafone has beaten off a rival approach from Tata Communications, the India-based telecoms company.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...