Holsten Pils 'George Raft' by Gold Greenlees Trott
The idea of embedding Griff Rhys Jones into old Hollywood movie scenes was a masterstroke that resulted in one of the most memorable series of beer commercials from the 80s.
Mind you, it was hard to go far wrong given the creative team at Gold Greenlees Trott that created the spots – art director Axel Chaldecott and writer Steve Henry who injected so much of his ironic and very British humour into his work.
His sharply written scripts juxtaposed the films’ original lines with new ones spoken by Rhys Jones extolling the taste of Holsten Pils.
One features jailbird George Raft being visited in clink by a perky Rhys Jones clutching an enticing glass of his favourite brew.
Other spots had the comedian in verbal repartees with Marilyn Monroe, John Wayne, Humphrey Bogart, James Cagney and Edward G. Robinson.
This ad was kindly donated by the Arrows Archive, which contains all TV ads nominated for the BTAA Awards since 1977. The archive is maintained by the History of Advertising Trust.
This article was first published on Campaign Work
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London