Virgin recruits Nigel Gilbert to refocus the brand's 'game-changing' ethos
Virgin has recruited former Virgin Media chief marketing officer Nigel Gilbert with a remit to refocus the brand's 'game-changing' ethos.
Nigel Gilbert: former Virgin Media chief marketing officer (pic Steve Orino)
Gilbert has taken up the newly created post of key projects director for Virgin Management, the company that oversees Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Group, following a two-year stint leading the marketing at Virgin Media.
He will oversee a series of projects, including the possible launch of a first cross-brand Virgin loyalty scheme and exploration of new business areas.
Despite the success of individual Virgin businesses, such as Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Money and Virgin Trains, the brand has yet to offer comprehensive benefits to consumers loyal to products across its sectors.
Gilbert has also been handed a remit to ensure that Virgin’s founding principle of ‘Don’t just play the game – change it for good’ is adhered to across its businesses.
While in the top marketing role at Virgin Media, Gilbert oversaw a change in strategy, including a fresh ad creative featuring celebrities such as former 'Doctor Who' actor David Tennant, Olympic stars Mo Farah and Usain Bolt, and Branson himself.
Prior to joining Virgin Media, Gilbert spent four years leading the marketing at Lloyds TSB and, following its merger with HBOS, Lloyds Banking Group.
He led the development of Lloyds TSB’s ‘For the journey’ marketing proposition, which is still in use by the bank. He also signed the deal for Lloyds TSB to become the first corporate backer of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
Gilbert began his career in the ad industry, occupying senior roles at agencies including Y&R and Lowe Worldwide.Follow @alex_brownsell
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...