Thomas Cook axes marketing roles amid major restructure
Thomas Cook has announced mass redundancies and store closures in the UK and Ireland, including the axing of a number of marketing roles, as part of plans to restructure the struggling tour operator.
Thomas Cook: 2,500 job cuts
The brand, which employs 15,000 people, has entered a 90-day consultation process with administrative and managerial employees, as it seeks to turn around a £485.3m pre-tax loss in the previous financial year.
A Thomas Cook spokesman confirmed its marketing department is affected by the announcement. However, it is not believed to impact Mike Hoban, sales, marketing and ecommerce director, who joined the business from Confused.com in November.
As part of the three-year "transformation programme", Thomas Cook will also close 195 of its 1,069 UK high-street stores.
Peter Fankhauser, Thomas Cook UK and Ireland chief executive, said: "Thomas Cook is a much-loved brand that needs to make the proposed changes to secure our future and provide continued employment for many thousands across the UK and better meet the needs of our customers going forward.
"It is essential that we operate with the right number of people as we move forward into the next era for our company."Follow @alex_brownsell
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Operations Manager Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £55,000 + Bonus, North London
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)